Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What's in a Serving Size?

Normally, I would just post this on my other blog site, but I have a few wisecracking things to say about this here, as well.

Yesterday, having achieved the feat of losing 25 pounds since the beginning of Thanksgiving, I was tempted by my son's package of Double Stuff Oreos sitting on the kitchen counter. While chatting with my son, I slid one out of the package, twisted it in half and ate the creamy middle, which is my favorite-- and even preferred-- part of the cookie. I handed Jesse the two chocolate ends, and reached for a second cookie. After eating the center, I decided a little chocolate couldn't hurt, so I stuffed one of the chocolate cookie ends into my mouth and began to chew.

While chewing down on the chocolatey crumbles in my mouth, I turned over the Oreo package to check out the nutritional information. My eyes went straight to the calories information, where I learned that a serving size of Oreos contains 160 calories. I was right in the middle of telling myself that I was surprised that Oreos were such a low-calorie snack when I noticed that a serving size of Oreos is TWO. Yep. TWO cookies. Who eats just TWO Oreos???

Well, for starters, that would now be ME. Yikes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ate the rest of the box mom.