Friday, May 22, 2015

Downtown Redding-- Here's What It Is...


I wonder, what would happen if the motels downtown stopped renting to "homeless" people?

I am getting tired of walking past the ones on Market Street between Sacramento and the 'Y' at Pine/Market/Cypress and being bombarded by 'residents' who ask for money, booze, drugs, etc.

I'm not suggesting that each tenant in these places is drug-dependent.  I can only speak from my observation, training, and experience, which indicates to me that most of the people I encountered today as I walked home from the bank and market, are suffering from a degree of paranoia and mental impairment consistent with prolonged use of methamphetamine.

Drugs are illegal.  Why are people not being arrested?  Why are building owners not being held to greater responsibility for these kind of "blight" issues on their property?

Today, I gave away the entire bag of groceries I had just purchased at the (Un)Safeway to a mother with four children under the age of six.  I'm not even sure why I did it, other than once I handed a four year-old a banana, watched as his five year-old sister helped him open it, and then immediately share with the two even younger siblings, I couldn't think of a single thing in that bag that I couldn't live without, even if it meant I didn't eat for a week.  I remain conflicted.  Jesus would feed the children.  Jesus would heal the addicted and tell them to sin no more.  But part of me somehow feels like I'm enabling, perpetuating bad behavior.

I was then hounded by two large women who did not like that I had taken a photograph of the general area of the motel where they were congregating in the parking lot.  I asked them if I could do anything to help them.  They began cussing at me, and trying to intimidate me.  I disengaged verbally with them, and continued walking home.  They followed me to the next intersection at Market and Sacramento streets.  I turned around on them with my taser in hand, and in my "Scary Susanne" voice, let them know they needed to back off.  I really prefer to be my normal, goofy ball of fluff, but I'm glad for my ninja skills when I need them.

A couple blocks later, I was approached by a man on a bicycle, asking me questions about the encounter I'd had with the ladies at the motel.  I told him, yes, I took photos.  I live in town, I care about the safety of the community, and places like that motel are a real problem-- case in point, I was accosted and harassed for stopping approximately 20 seconds on the sidewalk to take a picture.

He stated that the ladies who followed after me felt like I was stereotyping them, and judging them, because of where they 'live'.  I told him that I felt like I was being judged because I have a fancy phone, a great hairdo, and clean clothes.  Because honestly, of all the people who have walked by that place today, I doubt there's anyone who wants more than I do to find a solution to "help."

Neither of those women could have known that I lived in conditions as a kid, as much, or more abject as they do.  They couldn't have known that I just gave away my week's worth of groceries to one of their neighbors.

I told the guy on the bike, that there is a problem in town, and I am interested in seeing that it gets fixed.  I don't know what the entirety of the solution is, but I do know that I feel like part of the dilemma for now, is that we are not even properly defining, or maybe labeling, the problem.

Would having a 'real' home fix the problems for these people?  I kind of doubt it.

Would getting better mental health and drug treatment services in place, with penalties for non-compliance, fix the problems for these people?  Maybe.  But maybe not.

Would entering into relationship with these people and showing them love and mentorship help?  Maybe.  But that's a dangerous prospect.

I guess I'm posting this today because I feel like we need to keep pushing around this boulder of a problem in town, looking at it from every angle we can, until the solutions-- real, sustainable, long-term solutions-- come to us as a community.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your right...Do they really want help, how do you decide. I know after being raised there, I find it hard to try to come back. I appreciate your blog, some want help, some are comfortable...what to do??? I know some of them that are there in those motels and it breaks my heart...but I know I don't plan to jump in the fire...signed "homesick for what used to be there"

jcherry said...

Hi Susanne, i have thought about these very things alot and how it can be a win win situation for both sides. I agree just handing a home, wouldnt change most. I see the point where you feel your a crutch to their problem but you didnt help the mom you helped the childern, which i applaud you for. Childern dont ask to be born or choose to who and they should never have the burden of worry for food, shelter, and security. That banana could of change a kids world . Something as simple as that could mean so much more to another. The problem lays deeper than a home , its why they are where they are. What have they tried to do before turning to the current hussle. Its sad but true, its easier amd more profitable than a job to sell and trade drugs. Theres nothing reasonable in pay for entertainment . People will only change when they feel worthy, a part of, fulfilled. Our youth dont even know what it is to earn and save for something. Responsibility. Its too hard and not enough jobs . We should advocate to bring back gas attendants, paperboys, and anything that was replaced by machines just cause it gives intrrgrity and repect. There are someout their that just love the existance they live but most are in a bad spot because police deliberately profile most and throw ridiculous charges on you and now you have a record which is even harder to get employment. We as the people need to start volunteerism. Work as one for the benefit of others. It takes a village to raise a child. lets grow gardens , teach them how to cook , showing them how to sew, teach how to skin a deer and fish, people today were never shown how to live, how can you do or be what youve never been taught? We got to find reasonable goals to work for and suceed in for people.

Anonymous said...

Well yeah but its Shasta county get real there is gonna be many if them even nice places u get there scums there every where u go there's gonna be homeless people that are trying too get there shit right and ones that want that rock or there brew don't even put herb into this well yes it makes it look very bad y the rpd should patrol it what we pay them too do but there fucking lazy

toord4u said...

It's unfortunate that people stereotype but your ignorant response is proof of why we do! If I had to guess, you either never graduated high school or did very poorly in school. Having said that, yes I agree that just about any town has their fair share of "bad apples." The influx of homeless in Redding along with increased crime rates is a fact; however blaming RPD is absurd! Learn the facts, know the politics in your town then make a judgement or statement.

Anonymous said...

Demolish run down motels, clean up overgrown vegetation.

toord4u said...

That's a start but a whose expense? Overgrown city trees and poison oak on city property were a huge problem in the back yard of the house I own. When I called the city they said there was nothing they could do about it since it is not in their budget to take care of "city easements" or "city open spaces." Unfortunately getting city help (landscaping, law enforcement, mental health, ect.) means having an actual budget to sustain it! Our city receives grants (i.e. Hilltop Drive facelift), I wonder why grants are not being obtained for areas that I previously mentioned???

Anonymous said...

I can tell you that I used to live in Redding. My ex husband was a meth addict. Our house was overrun with scumbags. I was trying to leave and several incidents occurred in which the police had to be called. When they arrived they basically refused to do anything or even search any of the people on my property who I knew were in posession of drugs. They didn't want to fix the problem. Finally on about the third visit one of the officers straight our told me that my house was being watched and they were waiting to make a big bust and if they hassled any of those people or arrested them it might scare the rest off and cause a problem. They didn't care about the safety of my children as I was trying to get out of there (yeah I could have just left and gone to a shelter but then all of my valuables would have been sold within a week).
After I left my husband became homeless...he lived in those very motels featured in this article off and on...eventually was arrested repeatedly, and finally did time for armed robbery and got cleaned up.
There is no answer for this. The authorities don't care what happens and there is no place for these people. They don't really want to change.

Anonymous said...

Hello Susanne,
Your post was interesting. I find that a lot of the things you had to say was bias. Yes everyone who lived in Redding and grew up in this beautiful town knows that it has gone down hill a little bit. Yes we have more homelessness, drug addicts, and some trashy areas. But, as a child I grew up in a trailer. My mother worked her ass off and got us into an apartment then a home. She was determined. Those who put their minds to it can go where they want they just need help and inspiration.
As for the homelessness my father is homeless. He doesn't beg for money or ask for food from strangers. A lot of the time they are afraid and nervous to be around civilization so they hide out. The ones that hide are the ones who are just getting out of prison. Those asking for money majority of the time aren't even homeless they just don't have enough money to support their families; which if they knew about all the things that this town offers to those in need, it provides help (free clothing, food and sometimes housing assistance- primarily for women and children).

Would getting better mental health and drug treatment services in place, with penalties for non-compliance, fix the problems for these people?
Getting some mental help could help them psychologically. Getting some drug treatment could help those who want to be helped. I'm sure a lot of those who are having drug problems are just doing it not only because of the feeling they are getting but also the fact that it is an escape from reality. But I am sure yall are aware of that.

Would entering into relationship with these people and showing them love and mentorship help?
I believe if we showed these people some love and compassion it could work. They just need a good helping hand and guidance. You may be afraid to help because you think they might hurt you (which the might, but, you should still try. I was a tutor for an at risk youth young boys home. They were in affiliated with gangs, drugs, alcohol and many other things children and young 'adults' should go through. But I mean the age, circumstance and other things can take affect.

As I have learned from being in the military.... One team one fight. We are all in this together. Help one another out. I mean what would you do if you were in their shoes?

Anonymous said...

I have had the opportunity to witness Gods incredible redemption all over. I guess I am the lucky one by having personal encounters of individuals and families of Shata county, I get to see first hand. I realize many do not have the option in serving In multiple ministries in Redding like I do, I am fourtante to see homeless being saved, convicts transformed, drug addicts recovering long term, and mental illness not only maintained but marginally improved. I am disappointed in reading a plethora of blogs and posts stating the obvious problems. Everyone can point out the issues, point fingers, and judge. I am sad to see belivers in my faith question if spending, time, energy or even providing necessities as enabiling. The church is called to Love.... Some love by prayer, some by financial means, others by community and enjoying a cup of coffe with a sick person. And yes, some love by saying "no". We don't know what they need, often they don't know what they need, but God does and he can use a hamburger, a smile and a hotel room in any fashion He chooses. You and I will never know the impact of a simple gift in a persons life, homeless or not. Sometime God uses things in his timing. Those men and wemon you took pictures of in front of the hotel.....could get sober, get a job, and become your grand children's daycare provider someday, your neighbor and the person sitting next to you in church. They can get degrees, and become anything they are called to, AND THEY DO. You are just seeing a glimps of these beautiful people.... A moment in time. My prayer for our community is they do not loose sight of GODS GLORY.

Anonymous said...

I wish there was a "like" button for this reply above!

Anonymous said...

Expecting the police to fix your bad choices is ridiculous. Its that victim mentality that is the cause of a lot of what this article is talking about. I apologize if this is "cruel" reality, but the safety & well being of your children IS YOUR JOB. Not RPD's.

Anonymous said...

Volunteerism is how to clean things up.it will only happen if the whole community is involved. We don't need the city or government workers, we need the citizens period.