Friday, June 5, 2015

This Is What Cancer Looks Like

Heather Jenkins Grant and Robin Jenkins Renault, speakers, organizers, and supporters of this year's Relay for Life


I've tried for three solid days now to write something that will inspire people to show up to tomorrow's Relay for Life opening ceremonies tomorrow at Shasta College at 9:00 a.m.  My intent was to write, in my own words, about these two women, Heather Jenkins Grant, and Robin Jenkins Renault.  

Words fail me, in light of the testimonies these two have to share in their commitment to find cures for cancer.  

I have known these two women for about 35 years.  I babysat them when we were all younger.  Heather babysat my children.  I have watched them grow into amazing women, wives, and mothers, advocates, and businesswomen.  I have watched them grow in faith, hope, and grace in ways that could only come from a divine hand.  

To say that these women have overcome adversity, is a monumental understatement.  What I most admire about these two and their families is that they are the face of what cancer does not have to be-- the destroyer of families.  

What I want you to do is join me at the Relay for Life event tomorrow and come hear the story of Rebekah-- a sister, a daughter, a delightful child whose life on Earth was cut entirely too short.  Hear the story of Rebekah's sister, Rachael, who prevailed through her own cancer.  Hear the story of the loss of a grandmother whose heart so broke over these two children.  Hear the story of two women, a brother, two husbands, eleven children, and seven grandchildren who have remained strong and intact, despite all the odds.  

Come be inspired by the resolve of two women who are choosing to lead the fight instead of being knocked out by it.  Come stand in hand with YOUR community to raise awareness, to raise resources, and to raise the level of the power in the fight against cancer.  




No comments: