Sunday, September 28, 2008

Cool Breeze

We are now a scootering family. Jon and I bought a scooter a while back, and now, it is nearly ready to ride after some overhauling and adjustments. Jesse bought a scooter as well. Initially purchased as a means of beating the beating we've been taking at the pumps, I now wonder why I didn't get into this a whole lot sooner.

Motoring in the cool breeze is exhiliarating. Liberating.

One of the more interesting aspects of my new pursuit has been the smells. Last week, I was scootering over to the Enterprise area in the early evening after work, and I was overwhelmed by the potpourri of smells. The pungent odor of cabbage simmering in a Southeast Asian neighborhood, the smell of a slow cooking barbeque, the aroma of meat loaf and mashed potatoes, all had my mouth watering.

Even at 25 miles per hour, the sounds of the neighborhoods were enticing-- people gossiping on front porches, children hopscotching on the sidewalk, someone playing piano in a small duplex. It was a very different journey than the usual hermetically sealed experience I have as I motor to and from work in my car.

The feel of the wind as I speed along is so refreshing. One night last week, I rode with friends through the Churn Creek Bottom and down to Anderson River Park. The occasional pocket of cool air was as refreshing as jumping in a creek.

It's like mediation, but on two wheels, and with an amazing view!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.