Monday, September 27, 2010

Patience is a Virtue

Dear Lord, thank you for all the patience you bestowed upon me today. These are the things I did not say, when I had the chance:


To the lady at Trader Joe’s who looked at me, then in my cart, and spying a chocolate bar, said: “Dear, do you really think you should be eating that in your condition?”

I wanted to say, “Well, it’s for my dad, for all the amazing stuff he does, but even if I ate it, I’m sure that it wouldn’t do me near so much harm, even in my current condition, as that case of Two Buck Chuck and that bag of chips is gonna do to you…”

Instead, I just smiled.

To the man in Hayfork who said, “Don’t you think your kind have done enough damage to our country?” I inquired what he meant by that remark, and he indicated that because I had a scarf on my head, I must be a “damned Muslim terrorist.”

I wanted to say, “damned ignorant fools like you have done a lot of harm, too, and no one’s shooting their mouth off at you now, are they?”

Instead, I touched his shoulder and told him I’d be praying for him—to Jesus—and maybe to the God of Mohammed, just for kicks, and to hedge his bets.

To the woman whom I encountered in the mall who used to be my friend until she accepted advances from 'him':

I wanted to say, “Your hugs and concern are awkward for me. Admitting to me that going out with him while we were still married might have been a little precocious --and more succinctly, hurtful to me-- would be a lot better way to clear the air. Not that I expect it. I’m just sayin’…”

Instead, I smiled and then ran off to the restroom to hurl. Maybe I didn't call this one right.

To the sweet man who helped me get bags loaded into my car and told me that hilarious off-color joke:

I wanted to say, “I love you…” but I doubt he’d have understood the context.

Instead, I laughed like a crazy woman. Felt good.

To the mail man who delivered lots of scrills today. I wanted to say, “I love YOU…” but the mail came while I was away.

Instead, I will leave him something sweet to eat tomorrow.

Lord, I'm hoping you don't test me quite so much tomorrow.  :-)

Love,

Susanne

5 comments:

Georgia said...

You are the most amazing person I know!!!XOXOXO

Mike Daley said...

I love you. And you can put that in any context you want. :)

Anonymous said...

Coming from a guy who's at the 'happiest place on earth...' that means a whole lot. :-)

Unknown said...

I can appreciate your will and strenghth to bite your tongue, now go eat a candy bar to get that bloody taste outta your mouth! :)

CinnamonKern said...

A lovely woman I used to work with told me once that when people were particularly awful to her, she stopped, genuinely smiled, and told them (and absolutely meant it!) "I'm really sorry you're having a bad day..." Now, that's a lot of patience!!! How can you spare the kindness to avoid vaporizing them, much less the joy and humor to make my measly little day better? I bow in awe.